Your Business Quick Tip Newsletter
Vol 18 No #165 – 16th of July 2019
- Effective Communication – Stop Your Justs
- Work Faster Turn On Gmail Preview Pane (desktop)
- A Simple Excel Gem – Double Click
- How To Free-Up At Least ½ An Hour Every Working Day
- Two Simple Steps to Ease Your Work Life Imbalance
1. Effective Communication – Stop Your Justs
Eliminate the word ‘just’ and be more definitive, Example
- ‘I was just going to ask you . . .’,
- ‘I just wanted to say . . .
- ’and ‘If I could just have a word . . .’
This is one tip from my 101 Quick Tips Effective Communication eBook
2. Work Faster Turn On Gmail Preview Pane (desktop)
Well it does!!! Turn it on by going to Settings > Advanced > Preview Pane. Simply tick it on.
3. A Simple Excel Gem – Double Click
Instead of dragging your formula down rows and rows of data to activate the formula you’re using in a column, simply hover your mouse over the cell until it becomes a plus on the bottom right hand side. Then double-click. The formula will autofill all the way down until it comes to a blank cell on its left or right.
Try this magical little trick – you’ll love it.
4. How To Regain At Least ½ An Hour Every Working Day
Can I interest you in this brand new in-house training? One that will reduce stress, empower staff and increase productivity. The best part is you cherry pick the software you want the team to master in this 100% customised training to match to your software use and needs.
Pic and mix what you’d like covered
- Microsoft 365
5. Two Simple Steps to Ease Your Work Life Imbalance
This past week I was one of the speakers at the Hire industry / Elevated Work Platform / NZ Forklift Association Combined Conference. As always, I ran a pre-conference survey to gain more insight. One question was a top work/life balance pain point. With over 200 responses to go through, a huge problem that stood out for both the suppliers and business owners / managers (delegates) was switching off when they came home and still going through their emails on their phones at night.
First I’d like to quote one of the responses: “Work life balance is a choice an individual makes. If you choose to improve it. You will.” If you really want to make a change, you’ll start taking action. One of the small steps is to set Boundaries and Disconnect when you get home.
Two quick ways to do so:
- When you walk in, put your phone / laptop / tablet in a drawer. In other words hide it from view. If it’s out of sight. It will help keep it out of mind.
- Turn on your smartphone Do Not Disturb. You can set the timing and also make exceptions for certain people with calls, and notifications will not soundiPhone > Settings > Do Not Disturb.
Samsung > Notifications > Do Not Disturb
If you like this newsletter please help by telling your colleagues about it.