Your Business Quick Tip Newsletter
Vol 19 No #181 – 13th May 2020
We are back, and a warm welcome to our new subscribers
- Nifty Word Document Formatting Trick
- Working From Home With Kids
- Google Sites
- Differentiating Excel Sheets
- Your Suggestions
1. Nifty Word Document Formatting Trick – Word; 365 Word; Google Doc
Word. MS 365 Word. Google Docs
Having trouble lining up your images with text? You’re tab, tab, tabbing? Forgettabout it (as the Italians would say).
Use a table instead for stunning, fixed, word doc text/image placement. Your secret is safe as you don’t need to show borders so no one will ever know!!! Yippee. Each cell (the intersection of a row and column) can individually hold content. And here’s the thing:
- Columns and rows can be merged into each other.
- A single row or column can be split into more of each.
- Content (including images) can be aligned top, centre or bottom as well as left, centre and right in each cell.
BTW – this is a secret of many email newsletters
- Word: The Insert Table function is in the View Ribbon. With the Table selected click borders – see image below (Just Insert for G.Docs).
- Word 365 – View Menu > Insert Table and Select a Style
- Google Docs: Insert Menu. Click the Cell for border types
2. Working From Home With Kids
Thank goodness ’home’ schooling won’t be with us much longer, but I thought to include a link to one of the best articles I’ve seen as the activities will be useful any time. Here’s a snippet of their podcast suggestions in example.
- Smash, Boom, Best https://www.brainson.org/pages/smashboombest – A debate show for kids and families
- Forever Ago https://www.brainson.org/pages/foreverago – History show for the whole family
- Aaron’s World http://www.mydogrocket.com/ – An imaginative science-themed audio drama for kids
Why not read the full article? https://blog.appsumo.com/work-from-home-with-kids/
3. Google Sites
Do you have any friends or family that:
- Lack a business website?
- Starting a new business and need a website fast?
- Desires to put something online but doesn’t have an I.T. team?
- Wants to sell their home or showcase a portfolio of their work?
I’d like to point out a fabulous and free app Google provides called Google Sites.
Google Sites is an easy to use, free online app for making simple websites. You needn’t be very I.T. literate to work with it. Sites integrates with images and files stored on your computer or Google Drive. When you complete the site – be it one page or many – a unique URL (weblink) is created to be used to promote the site.
Here’s a screenshot of the mobile ‘preview’ of a site I whipped up in 10 minutes
Access Sites via Google Drive (New > More > Google Sites) or https://sites.google.com/new
BTW, I talk about this and many other wonderful apps in one of my popular training sessions Freasy (Free & Easy) Cloud Diamonds of Microsoft and Google. Please email now if you’d like a quote on group or personal; online or in-house training now email@example.com
4. Differentiating Excel WorkSheets
Excel, 365 Excel and Google Sheets
Do you have an Excel workbook with loads of Sheets? Did you know that by right clicking a sheet’s tab, you can colour the tab (to make it stand out). In fact you can colour groups of tabs in one go (to quickly differentiate between years or regions for example).
Excel: Colouring Multiple Worksheets Tabs:
- Use shift to select a congruent group of tabs you want to colour.
- Use Control to select non-congruent tabs.
- Then right click on any selected worksheet tab and pick the colour you want from the menu.
See the Excel example below
For Excel 365 and Google Sheets – Right Click the Tab and select colour.
Your Suggestions: New Career Path for an AirNZ Pilot
How have you fared these past six weeks? My business went from booked to bust overnight, but I tried to focus on the positives and to be thankful for:
- The glorious Auckland weather
- Huge walks and owning the middle of the road while cycling – amazing!!!
- Time to look, cook, relax and sincerely enjoy our family home bubble.
- The glorious leisure to do Sudoku puzzles without guilt
But I need your help.
Unfortunately, our son Daniel (27 years old) a pilot with Air NZ lost his job (along with 300 other AirNZ pilots). He has been advised he won’t have his job back for at least four years.
He’s struggling a bit with choosing what path to take now. Any ideas for a new career choice for Daniel?
As a pilot he has spent years training and in continual study which has made him a fast learner, quick, clever, a team player and proactive.