How many are you guilty of?
How can you effectively manage your busy day? Time management is not necessarily working “harder,” but rather, “smarter.” Here are five time management mistakes we should all avoid to increase our daily success both on and off the job, in less time, and with less stress.
1. Starting your day without a plan of action. Time management is doing the right things initially.
2. Losing balance in your life. Our lives comprise seven vital areas that need balance. These areas include health, family, financial, intellectual, social, professional, and spiritual. If we neglect any one area, we will eventually sabotage our success.
3. Working with a messy desk or work area. Studies have shown that the person who works with a messy desk spends, on average, one and a half hours per day looking for things or being distracted by things.
4. Getting insufficient sleep. Studies show that nearly 75% of us complain on a regular basis that we are tired. Most people get the quantity, but lack the quality of sleep, due to stress overload from the busy day.
5. Giving up a lunch break. Many do not take a lunch break. Studies have shown that after doing what we do for several hours, we start to “dull out.” A lunch break, even a short fifteen-minute break, gives us a chance to get our batteries charged up again to more effectively handle the afternoon’s challenges.